Monday 8 June 2009

A quick cache near the Wrekin and a problem with our Jeep Challenge 2 cache


The rain continued on Sunday with it absolutely teeming down most of the day. Later in the day, we'd just had a lovely Sunday roast dinner when the rain started to clear up.


I didn't need an excuse to get out to walk my dinner off and more importantly, get some fresh air. The closest to home not found was near to The Wrekin in some lovely woods on The Wrekin's smaller cousin, The Ercall. Perfect!

I was soon parking up and off I set up into the woods. On the way I passed the site of an Earthcache in the old quarry on the hill. We'd done this one ages ago so stopped for a moment to admire the great views of the quarry anyway.

The fun then began as the paths to GZ were not at all obvious and were not ones marked on Memory Map. I headed off down one that looked to be going in the right direction, only to be presented with a very slippery bank to climb down. It was then a question of hopping though the undergrowth before I found a better path. After that it was plain sailing and I was soon at GZ.

The cache took a few moments to spot - I should have trusted my GPSr as the co-ords were spot on and I was reading about 3-4ft at the cache. You don't get better than that.

The biz done with the cache and I set off back to the Jeep. This time I tried to stick to the path and to my amazement, it joined back up with the main path near the old quarry. If only I'd known this earlier, although I would not have had as much fun getting to the cache.

Back home and settled down for the evening, I had a notification that a local cacher had had problems with our Jeep Challenge 2 cache and that part of the special equipment needed to retrieve the cache was stuck in the cache tunnel. Easily done by the sounds of it too.

We hope to have the cache back up and running with all special equipment back in place later today.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP